A Cry for Help

Below is a painting I have been working on this week.  I like elements of it but overall it seems to me that something isn't working but I can't figure out what so I am looking for some constructive criticism regarding this painting.

Is it that the bird just doesn't suit it?  Are the colored ink blotches to much (I think that may be part of the issue, I was having a little too much fun with my alcohol inks:)?  Should I try to lightly paint over some of them, or try to blend a layer of sheer gold over them to soften them?  These are some of the things I considered.  So if anyone has anything to share please feel free to leave me a comment as I really am looking for some feedback on this one.  Thanks everyone!

posted under |

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

hello, lovely! while i feel strongly that each artist has their own journey, i'm happy to help if you feel so very stuck. firstly, i love this - it's a beautiful start! i love the bird, and the butterflies are so sweet.

i would do what you suggested - a sheer layer of paint to bring the background together. and since the bird is off-centered and to the right, i'd give him a branch to stand on that extended upwards and to the left, balancing the overall composition a little more. just a thought. :)

if you don't like my ideas, that's totally ok. let it sit for a few more days, a week, a few months. ideas will come to you! best of luck, dearest!

all my love,

Deanna said...

Thank you for your input Ingrid. I really do appreciate it. I definitely think it needs the sheer layer and I like the branch idea. It has actually been sitting for a week already which is why I decided to seek input. Although I think half the time I get to this point and I am just afraid I will ruin it if I keep going so I get scared and stop.

OStarr said...

Deanna, the only thing that really seems "off" to me is that there is a lot going on in the edges - lots of colors, textures, the butterflies, the gears - but around the bird, which is the focal point, there is not much, just the sheet music which is very light. I like contrast and think it can add a lot to a piece, but I wonder if it detracts a bit here. I don't know if you necessarily need to even change the ink colors or paint over it, I just think there needs to be more cohesiveness with the focal point - so, if you leave the edges alone, then maybe something (like Ingrid's suggestion of the branch?) around the focal point. Otherwise, it is really lovely, and really draws you in! I actually love the ink colors and hope you don't change them too much!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments